Sunday, December 21, 2008

Goa and the terrorists

The stories I heard of this place before I came. The festivals, raves, parties, drugs, beaches, philosophy and people were all images made in my head from stories of other people. I was excited to arrive in the hippy historical previous Portuguese colony. I headed to Vagator, the supposed party capital of Goa.
The streets were quiet, the restaurants were empty, and the people were anxious to get you in their hotels. It wasn't the Goa I had imagined. I soon learned the 5 biggest clubs had been shut because of fear of terrorism, all music had to be turned off by 10 o'clock, and there were to be no large social gatherings on the beaches.
1-0 terrorists
Because of the restrictions and the red alerts posted by certain governments Anjuna beach, the 2nd most popular hang out was dead. I walked past 50 empty restaurants, 20 shut bars, and an ugly mess of bamboo poles that used to be the biggest market in Goa.
2-0 terrorists
Frustrated and annoyed I moved to the far north, Arambal, for another attempt at finding the real Goa spirit. Arambols beach was ugly and the toxic black water that flowed into the sea from the village didn't help anything either. Although the vibe was a little better the only thing to do after 10 was watch a video, not what I came to Goa to do!
3-0 Terrorists
My last night I went back to my hotel bored, lonely, and ready to change my plans. That's when I met the Nepali guys.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How long will you stay in India? Is it getting better now because of new year? Just kidding...