Saturday, December 13, 2008

Afternoon Poo

I sat there admiring the sunset, it was beautiful. It was the first time in my life I was able to see the sunrise and sunset over the same sea. But that wasn't it, there was another first time to have.
Kanyakumari is a famous pilgrim site, like thousands of other cities in India. They wear black skirts and tribal necklaces, these heavy bearded men. Usually they act like the peasants of China and most of them can't speak English. They're nice guys though. They always smile, sometimes stare. They do more than pray piously, they poo almost as religiously as well.
The sky had just turned purple and I sat at the seashore watching the Arabian sea smash against the black rocks. It was peaceful.
About 15 of them started walking down the hill, all smiling secretly behind their bushy beards. They looked at me kind of awkwardly first; I wasn't sure what it meant. The resolved to continue their business- a little bit further down.
I got the point when I saw one man that was falling behind lift his robe - it was poop time.
Sure enough, at the same time, they all lifted their robes, almost in rows, squated down, and started to poo.
To this day I still don't know how they can time it so perfectly, but it was a sight to see, that afternoon poo.
Theres a first time for everything.

1 comment:

Megfa said...

Wow, they poo so openly.. and at the same time...interesting.