Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Elephant and the Elderly

Pondicherry, India
A city that Lonely planet said was ' a delightful city with beautiful pockets of French architecture' turned out to be just another Indian city - except more expensive.
I arrived at 1:00am and was at the rickshaw drivers mercy. I bargained one down to a reasonable price. After we were zooming through the quiet streets I realized why his price was half that of others.
"So, Wherez you go!" He spat out.
"I told you, In, ter, na, tion, al, Guest House"
I could smell the booze not only on his breath but all over the rickshaw.
"No rooms!"
"Just take me there and I'll find out. " Another one of those damn drivers trying to steal my money!
We arrived at the International Guest House and sure enough, there were no rooms. I knocked on another 10 hotels closed doors before I gave up.
"You can sweep in my rickshaw.." He offered.
"Um," it was actually good idea and I probably would of if he wasn't drunk. "I'll pass tonight, thanks though."
So he drove off and I was left on my own to fend off the angry dogs that patrol every Indian street.
I walked and knocked and walked and knocked and after two hours finally managed to convince a guy to let me sleep on the hotel lobby floor for 1 USD.
The morning was better. I found myself a room, ate some breakfast, and rented a bike.
Pondicherry was not the 'Paris of the East' I expected. The city had loud, dirty, and stinky areas like most Indian cities; but other than a few retired, faded buildings, there wasn't much to see.
I headed for the temples since I noticed that the shrines are much different here in the South. They have these 'gopurams' at the entrance. They are tall, blue, pyramid like structures that are lined with animals, gods, and humans. They are so colorful and eye catching one has to stop and admire them.
While searching the streets I came across a big gathering of people. Naturally I walked towards the group to see what everyone was gawking at. I didn't need to walk long to see the gigantic elephant presiding at the front of the temple. The owner sat contently beside the elephant and occasionally yelled orders at him when he tried to steal someones sari with his long trunk. Pious pilgrims would do a small bow before the elephant, offer some food, and then wait. The elephant would accept the food, eat it, and then bless the pilgrim by tapping him or her on the head with his trunk.
I watched this procession take place for more than thirty minutes. The pilgrims offered oranges, bananas, coconut and bails of grass for the elephant, as well as a good 'prayer donation' to the master.
After watching for a while I continued past the elephant about 20 meters when I saw a pitiful row of bewildered, crazed, and bony senior citizens. They all looked to be homeless. They dressed in dirty rags and the hair they had left stuck in the air like they had just been hit by lighting. Their eyes were glossed a pearl grey and they looked lost in the world. They imitated the elephant - one hand out, open palm, hand to mouth, open mouth - while moaning something unrecognizable.
It made me shiver. I gave an orange to a lady. I reached in my bag and found a couple coins to give to a man. I looked back at the lady and the orange was gone and she was looking at me like she had never seen me before - one hand out, open palm, hand to mouth, open mouth.
I walked a bit past them a took a seat to observe.
It was disgusting actually. All of it.
A lot of people there preferred to give money or food to a captured elephant in return for a blessing than to the poor.
The people who did give to the elderly were given nothing in return, not even a thank you. The poor showed how unappreciative they were by not even acknowledging the person who gave.
One thing did come out on top. The Shrine.
All the pilgrims, the ones who gave to the elephant, and the ones who gave to the poor, all headed to the temple to give some more.
It made me think.
If Christians gave 10% of their wage to an orphanage instead of the Church would the world be a better place?
If the Hindus gave to their bills to an NGO instead of an elephant would the world be a better place?
If Buddhists threw their coins into a charity box instead of a statue would the world be a better place?

Its a fact that you need money to help the poor and make the world a better place.

Who ever said you needed money to pray to God to make the world a better place?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

call me when you're available,tell me sth interesting,miss u

Megfa said...

If everyone gave .1% of their income..