Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Kolkata

Oh there are horror stories about this city.
Oh the poverty!
Oh the beggars!
Oh the crime!
Oh the dirt,pollution, taxis!
Oh bugs, drugs, thugs!
Oh....a lot of people are either full of shit, inexperienced, or things have changed.
Kolkata is one of the most amazing cities I have visited in Asia.
The colonial architecture left by the British make for breath taking day trips in the city. People were obviously very fond of marble at the time and you'll find the sun radiating brilliantly off it in the morning, afternoon and at sunset.
The people, though as different as all the Indians in India, seem to have a special charm about them. Besides the three annoying taxi drivers you find waiting at the end of tourist road, the people were happy to guide me, feed me, clothe me and accommodate me - and they did it with a smile!
The sights are too numerous to mention and if you're really interested in going you'll get better information in a book. Not only that but words will not describe the beauty of the palaces and mansions, museums and temples, or cemetery's and back roads. 9/10 of the places wont let you take photos so you wont get a picture either.
And I'll finish this buy saying.....IT IS SO CHEAP!
I mean cheap. In USD, 1.50 for a dorm, .50 cents for an awesome meal, and with the cinema at 1.25 and window shopping and most sights free, you will not be spending much money.
So, next time someone complains about India, send them to me.

No comments: