Friday, January 2, 2009

The Rave

On the motorcycle two thoughts kept colliding viciously in my head.
Don't get on the back of a motorcycle on a dangerou road at night with a man you don't know VS Commmon! You only have one chance!
I'm not sure which was the devil and which was the angel.

We drove for more than 2 hours across dark jungle roads. We crossed bridges, beaches, resorts and villages. Finally the final stretch brought us 3km up a small dirt road. I could hear the beating, the thunder of the rave in the forest. The noise echoed in the dark grey sky. After some bumps, cragy turns, and bushes in the face we arrived in a huge parking lot filled with motorcycles, cars, and taxis.
Welcome to the West End
I was excited. We got our tickets, pulled up our pants, fixed our hair, and I got ready to enter my first rave.
The thing Ill remember the most is the people. I've never seen such an interesting mix of fashion vs Halloween party vs hippy vs lunatic
I saw a Russian dressed as a pig, a French dressed as a wizard, a Nepali dressed as a caveman, a woman dressed in - Im not sure what it was but it looked amazing, like a track suit that glows in the dark.
People smiled, drank, smoked, smoked, and smoked, there was almost a constant cloud that hovered around the neon blue, green, yellow, and red strings.
As the sun rose the people continued to drive in to the place. The crowd increased and the music got louder. Sunglasses hid the alien eyes slightly pulsating behind the huge lenses and people danced. They danced without fear. They danced like no one was looking because no one was looking. Everyone was dancing. Everyone was smiling; at each other, at the music, at their feeling, at this kind of kinship you share with people who are loosing themselves in the same place and music that you are.
As the sun began to sizzle my skin I decided to call it a day.
I looked around, there must have been 1000 people there.
Whichever side pursuaded me to go, the angel or the devil, I thanked them.

No comments: