Monday, January 12, 2009

Train Thief

Bombay burned me out. A lot of walking and talking trying to get my camera fixed that turned out to just be a joke. The city itself is amazing. So much history packed into such a small area. I saw all the smashed up windows in the Tah Hotel where the terrorists attacked last month. I Did some shopping and then was off.

Train Hell
I did what I usually do when I get on trains. Through my bag on the top bunk, secure it, wash my face, pull out my hankerchief to cover the dirty bed, and go to sleep. But this time I forgot to do something very important. I forgot to tie up my shoes.
I woke up groggy in the morning and wanted to go for a pee. You do not walk anywhere in Indian trains without your shoes because there are no garbages on the train and people throw garbage on the floor. You can imagine what the toilet looks like. My search was slow. I couldnt really see properly. A man who was sitting below saw my struggling and got down on his hands and knees to try and help me. It was clear that my big brown boots were not there. We did find a pair of black shoes though. They were peeling, had huge hoels in the bottom, the toe was missing and one of the heels had fallen off.
"New shoes for you..." The man said with a wobble and a half smile.
I put them on, limped to the bathroom, did my thing and went back to sleep. I didint tie up my new shoes when I went to sleep the second time and, thankfully, they were still there.
Id heard of theives of the trains but I never expected it to happen to me - who does?
Being optomistic, at least they fit properly.
The train ride only got worse. It was supposed to be a 27 hour ride and it turned into 40 hours because of the fog delay. I had to battle a 40 year old chubby Hindu woman to get a seat by the window(She won.) And worst of all the Bomaby beef I had just before I left wasnt sitting to well in my stomach and I had to make frequent trips to the drentched with who-knows-what bathroom every hour!
Finally at 3:00 am we pulled up to the Delhi station

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Kyle, apparently your boots were just not meant to bring you on the rest of your journey! But those hole-filled shoes being there for you was definately karma keeping an eye on you. I laughed when I read of your fight with the Hindu woman over the window seat, I can picture you throwing your palms to the sky and doing the typical Acierno "aw, come-on!" Guess it doesn't work everytime!