Sunday, October 19, 2008

Religion in Nepal

I think if the whole world learned to live with different religions like Nepal did we would have a much more secure future.

Although most of the people are either Buddhists or Hindus you can also find Christians and Muslims. In a small mountain village I went to the other day they were all on one street.

A kid put it very simply the other day.

"So are you Buddhist or Hindu?" I asked.

"I'm Hindu" he replied shyly.

"Whats the difference?" I asked testing him.

"Nothing really, we worship Vishnu, they worship Buddha. Some people worship Jesus and other Muhammad." He said simply.

I thought about it after and I think he really has it clear in his head. He sees these people as profits that all give a different interpretation of the same thing, the Divine.

In Nepal the Hindus and Buddhists go to the same place to pray. There are no hard feelings between them, or so they claim. I just find it hard to believe. The other day in Kathmandu the Hindus sacrificed thousands of animals by cutting of their heads. They sprinkled the blood on their vehicles and doorsteps for good luck. The neighbor Buddhist watches this with tears in his eyes. They don't believe in the killing of animals and to them, this is a time for extra praying. When I asked them about this paradox they just shrug and say nothing.

No comments: