Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bundipur

These names will mean nothing to most of you. Maybe some of you have been to these places, hopefully there are some people reading this who plan to go. Anyways, I just want to give you a picture. Maybe inspire you to take a trip. I don't know how I have ever lived without coming to Nepal and I can't imagine living a life that didn't include it.

Bundipur is a small hill town built in the 17th century. I went there because it sounded quiet. The town consisted of one street. There were no tuk tuks, no touts, no tvs, no tacky advertisements, there weren't even many tourists.
Perfect.
My 'hotel' was someones home and I had the feeling I was staying in the guests bedroom. With the town being so small the only thing to do was to go to the hills. While walking I met many people. Most looked, some smiled, one even asked what Calvin meant on my shirt. The kids were amazing. None asked for money. A small boy named Dandskin gave me a tour of his Hindu temple (which he politely said I was no allowed to enter). His English was great and his dream was to be an actor. He showed me some red flowers that you can eat and reassured me that the red and green palm sized spiders that hung around the village weren't poisonous. A different little girl grabbed my hand and led me up a hill to see one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. Back in the village a 10 year old beat me at chess. The elders themselves were awesome. They asked questions out of interest. In too many of the tourist places someone will waste your time with asking you where your from and what your doing before they get to the real question, how can they get money out of you.
I spent the evenings with a brilliant German teacher who taught me a lot about absolutely everything. Any question I had about anything he seemed to have an answer. The days I spent climbing in the hills. Besides the spider webs in the face it proved to be a peaceful time.
One evening I sat admiring the clouds for sometime before I noticed that what I was looking at was the Himalayas. They seem to cover the whole horizon and are of such mass and beauty it is beyond words.
So if your looking for an excellent city that has nothing, Bundipur is your place.

No comments: