Sunday, October 19, 2008

Are yoU a HindU?

Animal sacrifice
I'm not sure what was so intriguing about it but Ryan and I were set to see it. We travelled 13 Km (The roads are so terrible here, it took more than an hour) to get to this temple where some animal sacrifices were to happen. As in any kind of situation I am curious and I want to get in there and really see whats going on. So I took of my shoes and walked through this water muck to go into the temple
"Are you Hindu?" A man turned to me and demanded.
"No.....are you?"
"Yes, you cannot be here." And he pointed to the entrance/exit.
I can say I felt humiliated. I can say I was angry. I can say that I wanted to see that guy come into a Christian church just so I could say "Go!" I can say those things but I won't. After talking to numerous people about this and learning more about the Hindu religion, I still think I am right. Although I agree its important to respect ones religion. For example when I went to the temple I was wearing long pants and I took off my shoes. But I think ones religion should also respect me. Am I so dirty, so impure, so unworthy of seeing what it is that you have? Am I a spy, a terrorist, or a crock?
No. I'm just a person who is interested in learning what happens in the Hindu temples. I have never been denied access to a church, temple, mosque or shrine before. No monk or priest has ever turned me away. How is one to seek faith if the people who have faith already don't have faith that I could have faith....? Anyways, as you can see I am still upset about the situation. I plan on learning more about the Hindu religion, if the let me into their temples or not!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't be so angry,babe,it's just like if one is not a christian,he can't go to the church for the wedding.