Sunday, October 19, 2008

Nepal

From arid mountain plains we descended into the muggy Nepal jungle. The canyon narrowed and white waterfalls splashed onto the road. Colorful buses with melodic horns tried to press its way towards the boarder. Dark people with baseball caps sold samosas on the street. AHHH,



Nepal



Its always great crossing boarders. You cross this imaginary line and everything changes. In China everyone obsess over cleanliness. In Nepal, old woman with alligator skin and nose rings sit on the roads while kids with no pants jump in the dirt. In China its rare to find people speaking English. In Nepal most people can speak a little English and they spoke with no sense of shyness. In China the kids would scream "Hello" and then run away giggling. In Nepal the kids would say hello and then proceed to start a conversation.
I knew from the second I was in the country that I would love it.



We still needed to get to Kathmandu. So we rented a jeep with some fellow tourists for 600 Rupees each. Just when I thought that I left China forever, I was reminded, China is everywhere, especially nowadays. Ryan and I shared the jeep with six Chinese people and I spoke about China with Chinese people for the next 4 hours.

No comments: