Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Karakuri Lake

The lake
As soon as we got out of the car we were offered accommodation with the local Kyrkies that lived at the edge of the lake. Echo wanted to try her time as a cowgirl so we took a horse ride to the village to check out our new home. The village was extremely simple. I first thought that the feces that were spread out around the village were used for fertilizer. (You've seen what dog urine does to grass, can you imagine what camel pee does!?) but later learned they use it for fire. Grey stone fences surrounded mud made houses. The towns one and only uni bathroom was in the center of the city. It was repulsive The local school kids had tulip stem green eyes and marched around a dirty Chinese flag.
Although the city was interesting and could keep a farmer intrigued for hours Echo and I decided to do some hiking. The climb up was difficult. Together the hardest thing we had ever climbed was the stairs to my flat when the lift was out. But the difficulty of the trek made it so much more gratifying when we reached the top. The yellow valley was speckled with camels and yaks and the bright turquoise lake reflected the cloudless sky with perfection.
At home our family lit a poop fire and give us some sort of stew. They started the entertainment by standing up and pretending to dance but later I understood they just wanted to give their teenage son a chance to get boogie with it with my girlfriend.
Day 2
We reunited with the two women we came up with. They had spent the whole last day driving and were very eager to drive all the way back to the city. On the way we stopped by various mountains with very logical names like Red Mountain and White Mountain. We once stopped at another mountain. After taking pictures of it one of the women asked what it was called. When the driver said it didn’t have a name the women let out a puff of air while angrily asking why we had stopped deleted the picture of her camera.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyle:
Hey,I looked through your updated blog last night and kenw your journey at Kurakuri Lake, a beautiful place and peaceful villager although I didn't know the lake where is it in Tibet. In the picture on the page, your bald head made me feel a little funny because that it is not standardized teacher's portrait. Searching for difference, I appreciated much,which can help me to undestand the meaning of your long traveling in alone. Keep walking and going, you will find what you has searched for in your road. You are not a single,as a friend, I will focus on your experience via your unique blog as much as your other friends did.
What is your next destination?
If it is possible, I hope share more photos in your quirky travel.

Love and care
James

Unknown said...

i'll never forget the hiking experience which almost made me die!!!without your encouragement ,i won't accomplish it,it's a meaningful experince to me,thanks babexx~ but the second time you hiked with the french girl and just left me behind which made me angry~you know i'm just a beginner and you did this since you were born,you shoudn't take advantage of me!but after all,without your stimulation,i wouldn't had a great time enjoy the scenery from the moutain,it was awesome indeed~