Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Bickering Tuesdays

This is a part of an on going column called Bickering Tuesdays. Since most times I bicker its on a Tuesdays and since a lot of these things happened on Tuesday and because, most convenient, today is a Tuesday.

You can’t!

You know one thing I really hate? When complete strangers tell me I can’t do something. I am so sick of people telling me what or where I could or could not do or go.

Story goes like this

"I’d like to use the Internet please." I said politely.
“You can’t.” Says a boy of 14 years old without looking up from his stupid computer game.
“ Why not?” I asked.
“Because you don’t have a passport.”
So I ride across town to pickup my passport.
“Here’s my passport.” I say forcefully.
“You can’t.” Says the geek again.
“What’d you mean I can’t, here’s my passport, I have my passport!”
“You need a Chinese passport”
At that moment I really wanted to take the nerds head and smash through the computer screen. But I've learned that smacking arrogant Chinese boys is no way to solve any problems. I learned the hard way. See the 899USD smack.
Instead I pulled the cord on his gay Warcraft game.
Take that!

Story 2
I want to go to Karakuri lake
“Foreigner, haha, you cant go! The fat Chinese man said as he rubbed his attended his geeky, cheap glasses.
"Yes I can, my friends just went there." I said matter of factly.
“Nope, you can’t. You have to get a permit from so and so who wont give it to you because you are a FOREIGNER!”
"Listen you little..." My face started to go red. Before I said another word my girlfriend grabbed my arm and gave me that, 'don't' look.
"My friend just went, I can go, and I'm going to go. With or without you." I said and left the room. Nothing bugs me more than knowitalls who don't know jack$&!#

Story 3

“You can’t stay at the lake with the local people, foreigners aren’t allowed” Says the peasant driver.
“Yes I can, I know a guy who just did it”
“Nope, I know you can’t.
I've learned that this area is full of knowitalls why just don't know. So I sit back, and patiently wait for the time I can make this idiot lose face in front of all the passengers.

Moral of the story
I'm not a bad person and I think I can talk with any reasonable person. What made me so angry in all of these situations was the manner of the people, and their tone of voice.
Not only did I get on the Internet just down the street from that shop, but I also got to the lake and stayed with the local people. There are so many people with their heads up there you know what or filled with so much high esteem that you need to really be firm.
Take it from me. Almost anything can be done in China. You just need to talk to the right person and stay away from the people who tell you you can’t.

No comments: