Thursday, October 9, 2008

Free Tibet

I read an article the other day about all the fanatic people who want to free Tibet and it really hit the spot. Once I find it I will link it here,
When the riot happened in March us foreigners living in China and those of us who like the Chinese were really stuck in the middle.
Let me start this controversial article by saying I went to Tibet.
Now a lot of people have a lot of different arguments and a lot of terrible things to say about the Chinese 'invasion'. I have heard stories of talking away their culture, their buidings, their way of life, and a lot of other terrible things. Lets not dwell too much on what happend in the 1950's. There were terrible things happening to a lot of people then.
Lets talk about now.
I saw a lot of temples, a lot of pilgrims, and a lot of people praying everywhere in Lhasa. The people seemed pretty free to pray. Incase anyone thinks that China's 'communist'* regime doesnt tolerate religion there are tens of thousands of temples and mosques and even churches all around China.
China is developing so a lot of things they are doing, including the destruction of buildings in Lhasa and other parts of the country, are under a lot of scrutiny. They are developing. It is a process. And as much as we love to see old, molding, “traditional” houses. A lot of people want a better life. And I know that old people who have had their houses past down to them generation after generation don’t want to leave. One thing I learned from my Japanese boss was " You cant make everyone happy".
The Tibetan people themselves are extremely spiritual (sometimes in very bizarre ways) and the countryside is poverty stricken. I have never been impressed with children beggars. I've seem them in almost every country I've been to. Usually their parents are two steps behind them, urging them on. Interesting enough I didn't see a lot in Laos or in Burma, unarguably the poorest countries in Asia. The kids in Tibet were pitifully. In every village I went to, no matter how small or secluded, they trotted towards us with big eyes, filthy faces, and open palms. This was obviously taught from their parents. And If I can blame them, I blame foreigners.
I've seen them about. They come in on the tour bus or in their aircon tainted glass vehicles. They stop at a village, hand out some candy or coins, get a cute picture and leave. In their hearts they feel like they've helped.
Well you haven't.
Stop
If you want to help, build a school.

*Anyone who knows what the defintion of communism is knows that China is not a communist country.
To add to that, no country that has ever claimed its government as communist has followed the rules of communism. Therefore, in all the history of time, we have never, ever, seen a communist government.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't say whether communism could be realized or not,cause i can't see that day in person.
But I think at least it is a good idea about the social system in which there are no the poor and no class contradiction.
It is a long and hard way to realize the communism and the country should be with a firm economic foundation, maybe it will experience some kind of captalism phase,but it doesn't mean that the country has just a 'commuism name' or even give up . Anyone can see China has been much more stronger than before in recent years,though it is still a developping country,there are still a lot of poor people and a lot of children in the remote places can't go to school,chinese government is making efforts to give their people a better life.