Sunday, October 19, 2008

Leaving China

That day at Everest will be ingrained in my head for my whole life. It also marked my last day in the country that I called home for 3 years. We drove for hours on terrible roads to get to the boarder town of Zhangmu. The city is built on a windy slanted road. At the bottom was the Nepal boarder.

A lot of things were going through my head when I was going through customs. 3 years earlier I was doing the same thing, except I was coming into China. I have to say I was equally moved by the custom people there, so polite and straight. Thousands of memories started flooding through my head. I've met so many amazing people, seen so many breath taking sights, and had such an amazing time in China. I realised that I was leaving all of that. Everything that I had made for myself I was leaving, again. The guards saluted me, just like they did three years ago, and a tear slid down my cheek, (I hid it from Ryan and the guards) just like it did three years ago.

China

That word has a million memories attached to it. And I will always bring them with me. People can knock the country as much as they want, and I will stick up for it. Because for as many bad things people can come up with, I can counter with all the random acts of philanthropy that I have seen.

I walked through, got in the bus, and said goodbye.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Finally ,i got to know ,what will move you and what will leave in your heart forever.
Any place,any people or even momeries all could fade away except the feeling of the moment you're really touched,it will always be as clear as it was yesterday.