Thursday, September 25, 2008

Grape Country

Have you ever been to a vineyard?
Have you ever been to a Muslim City?
Have you ever been to a city that was ravened by Kabul Khan?

While if your interested in this kind of stuff head to Turpan, XinJiang.

After I got off the bus some friendly Muslims eating grapes directed me to my guesthouse. The road road I took was shaded with arches supporting thousands of grape vines. Above you could see bunches of Sprite green grapes hanging lazily from the branches. The people sat on benches eating grapes and chatting. Children rode by me on these new kind of skateboards throwing grapes at eachother. Men on bicycles road past selling, you guessed it, grapes.
I bought 1 kilo for 25 cents. And let me tell you, those grapes were the cheapest and most regular grapes I've ever had the chance to get my hands on.

Although I love grapes I super love bread. And in XinJiang there is bread on every corner. They make it in a little disc shape in small little round ovens. They are amazing when they are hot. Not only do they have bread but they have yellow carrots, white apples, and this yellow thing with purple veins on it that tastes like a mix of rhubarb and melon.

The markets are the best. They are loaded with raisins, nuts, and sweets. The aroma of the spices leaves you crying or craving curry. But of everything, it was the people that kept me coming back. Every woman I saw was wearing something sparkly. Their dresses were of all colors of the rainbow and were always worn with style. They resembled something like gypsies from the medieval time. The men wore colorful skullcaps or diamond hats and had the most amazing white straight or black puffy beards. They had these turquoise green, auburn or chestnut brown, beautiful eyes. I would stare at them with admiration and wonder. And they would stare at me. I think its not every day they see a blond hair, blue eyed, orange bearded man.

The sky was azure blue every morning. I would wake up and bike ride down to the river for a splash, then head to the orchards to get some grapes. The ancient villages had all been destroyed in the past and left it all to your imagination of what once was.

But once was is no more, and what is now will be no more tomorrow. So I will say, Turpan today is one of my favorite places in China.

No comments: