Friday, November 28, 2008

The time I almost died

Have you ever almost died before? I'm sure you've thought about it. What feelings goes through ones head? What would be your last wishes? Would you be happy?
In India I hear stories of people dying almost everyday. I don't mean about those innocent people getting shot up in the hotel - may the rest in peace - but travelers. People get sick here. Travellers diarrhea can turn into a nightmare, that small bite on your ankle can lead to one less foot, and that wave that looks really small from the shore could be the last one you ever see again.
I don't want to exaggerate, of the tens of thousands of tourist who come to India only a small number die.

But it happens.

Here's my story, one I fortunately live to tell.

It was just another typical day. I woke up to the birds chirping, the horns honking, and a nice breeze coming through my window. It was a day just like any other day.
I went to the beach, met a German couple, had a chat, and after the sun was getting a little to hot, decided to hit the water.
I noticed the waves were a little bigger than the day before but thought nothing of it. I jumped in the water and laughed out loud as the first wave smashed into me. I wanted more so I started swimming out to the waves a little further from shore. I was swimming for less than 2 minutes when I suddenly hit a sandbar. Of course I was surprised. I stood up and looked towards the shore, which wasn't more than 200 meters away. Before I had a chance to look back a wave smashed me from behind.
I was a little surprised at first but what made my heart drop was the way the water was man-handling me. I felt the strong current sucking me towards the ocean.
And what did I do, panicked of course.
Before I could catch my breath another wave smashed me and this time I sucked in a whole bunch of water in. Still the rip was pushing me further away from the shore.
BOOM
Another wave hit me and I sucked in another mouthful of water and that's when the thought hit me.
"Am I going to die?"
It was simple really. I remember saying it, but not having any time to really think about it. I think it would have happened so fast. One more wave would have hit me, I would have became to exhausted to swim, and I would have sucked in one last breath of water and then, silence.
My passport was in my bag. The German people would have notified the Embassy. They would have called my parents. My body would be sent back home. There would be a funeral.
But I would see none of this. My life would be over.
Dead.
I would have died. Just like before I ever lived, there would be nothing.
Blackness.
Like when you sleep without dreaming.
But I'm alive. I live another day. I'm grateful and very happy about that. But I will say this now, if I would have died, or whenever it does happen, I am happy with how I lived my life
No regrets.
You can put that on my tombstone

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you should know you're not only responsible for yourself in the world,if you died ,how deep sorrow will your parents have?don't do the dangerous thing anymore,not only for yourself but also for those who love you

Megfa said...

Water is so powerful! Glad you got out of there.