Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Jungle Safari-what started the whole trip?

It happened one cold day that resembled a nuclear winter in Shanghai. I was freezing and everything looked ugly and gray. I needed to get out of the harsh wind, if just for a few seconds. Ahead of me was a bookstore. Great.
I headed over to the English section and ahead of my was a pile of Lonely Planets. I picked up the nearest one which happened to be India. I started mindlessly flicking through the pages until I saw it. A beautiful rhino grazing in a warm, lush, jungle. It made me quiver and crave. I needed to go there. In a second a thousand thoughts went through my head. I grabbed a Nepal book, the India book, the Pakistan book, the Iran book, the Turkey book. It was possible. I could go to Europe overland. I looked back at the picture of the rhino. I needed to do this trip.

And here we are, one year later. I'm on a beach, I woke up to the waves gentling washing up on the shore. I am so comfortable and I owe it all the the rhino.

When I looked more into the trip I saw that it wasn't going to be as easy as it looked. I have learned from experience that what a map shows is not how the road goes. On the map it looked like a hop, skip, and a jump. In the book the trip would take more than 20 hours. After just coming down with a cold I needed to make a sacrifice so instead of trekking into the jungle in the far east of India I settled for a park just above Bangladesh.
The trip only took three hours from Sillinguri, the main northern city of West Bengal. I met a lot of interesting characters and finally I was dropped off at the park gates. I found a nice hotel, got some food, and arranged my trip.
The next day at 5:00 am a jeep picked me up and drove me the 15km into the jungle. From there came the big elephant. The seats on his back were really comfortable and within minutes we were gently tromping through the jungle. Within a half-hour our guides ears perked up. He saw something I couldn't see. I looked around frantically as I fumbled to open up my camera case. He whistled to the group behind us and we gently crept through field.
And there it was. A huge, beautiful, one-horned rhino. It stood munching some grass as two birds gently hopped on its back. The sun was just rising up behind it and the whole field was bathed in a gold light. A feeling of intense bliss came over me. This is what I came to see. I was speechless.
We didn't hang around to long and within another 15 minutes we had spotted another rhino. Then we saw a monkey, a flying peacock, and another rhino. The whole trip was over within an hour, a little fast I thought. But it was completely worth it.

So how much does a jungle safari cost.

Including all the transport, meals, accommodations, and the tour the trip cost 20USD. And if I had a couple friends it would have been even cheaper.

Its a trip you can't afford to pass up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that sounds great!send me some pics