Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Darjeeling - hell in heaven

A hill station in November - great Idea Kyle.
I thought I needed to get a glimpse of the mountains one more time before I jumped down to the hot sands of the south. So I headed for Darjeeling - a small town in the hills that is snugged between Nepal, Bhutan, and Bangladesh.

There was such an interesting mixture of people that the first day I was there I was just complete captivated by them. They woman would wear kimonos or saris or jean jackets and the men would wear the same interesting mixture. With Indians biggest mountain as a back drop one would think that one could spend many wonderful days wondering around.

One would be wrong.

Day 2
Disaster
The stomach problem started with the road side curry a week earlier and came back with explosion tendencies. I would be sent running for the toilet whenever I ventured out of my hotel.
So I decided to stay in my hotel.
Bad plan
I was lucky enough to be blessed with not only allergies, but deadly ashma the goes with it. The blankets in mountain hotels are never washed properly and after one night of sleeping in my room I was congested, wheezing, and felt a cold coming on. Unfortunately when allergies start to bug me it weakens my immune system and by the second night I had the flu and still terrible stomach problems.
I was alone. But I was optimistic. Everything would be better tomorrow.
On the third day an army truck ran over a child, may he rest in peace, which sent the village into hysterics. They rioted and closed every shop in the village. The forth day I spent wondering around a ghost town. On the fifth day things were back to normal but I wasn't. I needed to get out.

No comments: