Sunday, February 1, 2009

Chinese New Year in Shanghai

I left Shanghai 5 months ago thinking that it would be a very long time before I ever saw it again. It was an emotional day when I left. I shed some tears. I remember gazing out at the city as the train left Shanghai thinking, "I wonder how much this place will change?"
Well cities change, people change, plans change. And in my situation everything seemed to happen very very fast

Echo and I decided to meet for the Chinese New year in Shanghai at 2:00 Pm
At 4:00PM I had bought tickets.
At 6:00 PM I was on the 'Super Fast' train bound for Delhi.
It took the 'Super Fast' train 6 hours to go 300 Km. I arrived at the Delhi International airport at 1:00 am.
12 hours later I was in Shanghai

Echo, my friends and amazing Chinese food were all things that never left my thoughts. But other things, simple things, I just seemed to take for granted before.
"Wow, its clean and cold!" I remarked when on the bus.
"Wow, the buildings really look like something out of a sci-fi movie!" I also remarked on the bus.
"Wow, that's expensive!" I couldn't help but saying when the bus fair cost as much as one day of drinking, eating, and sleeping in India did.
It seemed that India had somewhat distorted my understanding of money and urban planning, shrank my stomach and increased my sensitvity to the cold, and later I was to learn, opened my mind.
Echo and I had dinner at a revolving restaurant that night. As Shanghai span around me the shock of jumping from one culture to a completely new one finally began to settle in.
I was so happy to be with Echo, it was amazing seeing my friends, but there something about Shanghai that didn't feel right.

No comments: